Saturday, October 27, 2007

Workin...

Well, I'm sitting here at work, enjoying the fact that I have nothing to do tonight, hardly any calls will come in, and the place is fully booked so nobody new can come in. I've got endless amounts of tea and a nice piece of carrot cake and some scones awaiting for when I choose, and maybe even a ham sandwich if I so desire. I'll admit, I don't want to only make £6.75 an hour, but I am in Oxford, and I haven't even begun to see the money that I'm making, so before I cry about how much money I'm not making and how much I'm not going to be able to travel, I need to actually give it a month.

As for travel, well... There's only so much you can do when you work every day for 10 days and sleep the rest of the time that you're not working. However, this week should prove eventful. I am going to do a tour of the Kilns, Lewis' home, visit his grave site, and raise a Guinness to the late Lewis on Thursday at the Eagle and Child. I hope to do a tour of Windsor Castle this week, maybe Friday or Wednesday, and I hope to do a tour of the Oxford Castle Unlocked, which is the old jail in town. The Sheldonian and Bodlian Libraries are also of interest, at least for some slow reading before work. I haven't tried really anything that Oxford has to offer, so while I'm here, I'm going to do as much as one can. That's why I'm here right?

My two November trips are coming up as well. I have a friend from home, well he's Joel's friend, but I shall call him a friend as well, who is traveling through Scotland, England and Ireland for a few weeks. On the 3-5, we'll be doing Edinburgh. Hopefully the castles, a day trip to Stirling, a scotch tasting hopefully, and just discovering what Edinburgh has to offer. I'm looking forward very much to that. Not paying for it, but I'll get over that. ;)

As for the next trip it will be on the 17th and 18th, and it's horseback riding in Wales. The Brecon Beacons Park, a national park, is what we will spend a day riding through, stopping along the way for many sites. On the way to the park there will be plenty of sightseeing stops, but it's a straight drive through the The Cotswolds, and is sure to be a welcome weekend away. Plus, they pick me up in Oxford, and drop me off in Oxford! Nice!

Welp, I'm gonna keep on working. I hadn't updated you all for awhile, so I figured I would. I think I said that pictures of my house are up on my flickr site, but if I didn't, then they are! I'll continue posting throughout the week, letting you know of how the week goes. Until then, Cheers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horseback riding in Wales, eh...? (said in authentic Cory voice)

Sounds like a nightmare to me, at least from the scenic standpoint...you know...seeing that whole Welsh countryside on horseback.

Couldn't you have found something better to do with your time? (he said, laughing nervously....)

Arthur said...

One of my favorite places from my whole trip was up in the hills behind Edinburgh, watching the sun set over the castle. I highly recommend it. That's when I got lost and had to ask a homeless man living in the forest how to get to the top.

Also, if they are doing it, you should try to see a tattoo in Edinburgh Castle. It's pretty sweet. Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

"Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live" said...

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time 'Leb! I really hope you get to enjoy all the sites you hope for! Windsor Castle is amazing! The grounds are so gorgeous, especially around the "round tower"(I don't remember it's true name, but it stands out)! The chapel is so beautiful too! Henry VIII is buried there...one of the monarchs I've always found to be distustingly intriguing...
While you are at Windsor,
you should try to walk around Eton some too! Oh how I love England...
-'Lex

Anonymous said...

Wow Caleb. Very cool of you. My brother told me you were in Oxford for a while. How long have you been there and how long are you planning on staying? There is a very small possibility that I might be moving to the UK in an indefinite period of time. Do you have any tips for finding a job and getting a work permit, etc.? Any hints would be most appreciated! Cheerio!