Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hey, Whaddya Know? A New Post!

It seems my posts come in spurts. I don't do a post for a week, then I do five. Well, the trend will continue because next week is going to hold probably at least three posts, possibly four just on my four day trip to the Three Capitals (Bratislava, Budapest and Vienna) as I like to call them, and each capital will get a post. I seriously can't wait to go. I found a great website called 43 Places that has tons of tips and reviews of places all over the world, and I think they're up to over 100,000 different cities. It's pretty neat, and I've got my itinerary for Bratislava and some of Budapest from there at least, so I hope it works out!

As for tonight! Well! I had the night off from work so I decided to partake in some more Oxford culture by getting a ticket for the Oxford Millenium Orchestra's performance of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and Nutcracker suites, as well as selections from Borodin's Prince Igor opera, which contained a very special song to my heart, the Polovtsian Dance. Oh, bans, that was great. The night began with a nap after work, and was SUPPOSED to start with a nice dinner, probably at The Mitre, but ended up with a couple cheese sandwiches from Marcs & Spencer (hey, it's only £2, so I'll live!), then a pint at a poorly chosen establishment. Here is why it was poorly chosen:

The location was good because I only had about 20 minutes before the performance started, so I picked The White Horse, which is right across from the Sheldonian Theatre, the venue of my evening's entertainment. I walked in, and didn't know what to get because I've been wanting a porter for about a month now, since it's porter season. I don't get to enjoy too many ales since I don't want to spend money in Oxford that I could spend in other countries, so a porter would have been a good way to start the night. Well, they didn't have any so I just stood there trying to pick one. The bartender decided to wash some glasses while I decided, and I didn't mind because he was just being efficient. When he "efficient"ly didn't come back to me for about three minutes, I wasn't thrilled, but I ordered anyway. Here's how the order went down.

"I'll have a go at the Smithy."
A blank stare from the tender, maybe he didn't hear me.
"Just a pint... Of the Smithy."
Continued blank stare. Does this guy speak English?
"Just a pint..."
"Please?? Can we have some manners?" said the tender.
"Oh, sorry, please?"
So yeah, my first encounter with a rude Englishman, and I decided to take the high road and just accept MY unnoticed rudeness and pay for the drink once he pulled it. I would have loved to let him pull it, then tell him to shove it and leave. But I didn't. I tried to get my revenge at the end by saying "Thanks!" and waiting for him to ignore me, but he said thanks and cheers and I just left. We'll leave it at a simple conclusion to not go there again and not recommend it to anybody.

My night wasn't ruined though because I then headed across the street to the performance. I found a seat, then a girl who was friends with the people I was sitting next to came in and I moved to another seat so we wouldn't all be squished during the two hours of music to come.

The first piece was the Overture to Prince Igor. I want to see the opera because it has the Polovtsian Dance in it, which was the first song after the interval, and I LOVE that piece. I enjoyed the Valse of the Swan Lake Suite, and it made me want to waltz, obviously! From there, the next songs were intriguing, but the Mazurka to finish off the Suite was a very energetic and festive piece. After the interval, the Nutcracker Suite took hardly any time at all because I enjoyed it so much. I've always loved the Nutcracker, saw it as a kid with an amateur ballet company, and I would LOVE to see it done properly in it's full glory. To a lot of Americans, and probably Russians too, I guess, The Nutcracker and many of its themes represent the heart of Christmas. And as Christmas is being rolled out all over the world, what better way to kick it all off then to hear some real Nutcracker!?

So that's my post for today, and until next Sunday when I will post about my GREAT trip to eastern Europe, Cheers!

7 comments:

Chris said...

Hey I was just today thinking about how I wanted to go see the Nutcracker... I've never seen it before, but really like the music. Sounds like your having a great time. Drink a pint for me!

Joel and Tessi said...

Polovtsian Dance.. that's hilarious. That's the first song I remember someone singing at summer camp one year. No wonder you like it. Hehe.

tjwilsonster said...

Sounds like a really nice evening, wish I could have been there! I wouldn't have let you forget your manners ; ) Glad you turned the other cheek : )
Oh, and I'll have a glass of milk, please.

Luke Beecham said...

Yes, I agree with Master Joel...I too seem to remember a...certain...camper...singing that song during the talent portion of No-Talent Night...

Sounds like a wonderful evening of music and memories.

Cheers!

Jonathan said...

That's hilarious that you finally met a 'rude' Englishman. There were a few people like that in Paris that were probably unnecessarily rude; but really I met far less of that kind than I had expected. I suppose it is because my expectations were based on the apparently false impressions given to me before I left the States by people who have never actually been to France...

...I guess you can't really be truly knowledgable about something until you experience it firsthand (...which reminds me of a very poignant argument in the movie "Shadowlands", if you've ever seen it...which reminds me that you're actually living on C.S. Lewis' doorstep...which makes me wish I was over there...which, in turn makes me remember that I will be over there in the near future...which further calls to mind that it might be prudent to check out this link in your post about the "43 Places" in order to have a better idea about places to see in Europe...which, well...which...I...I'm out of whiches.)

"Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live" said...

Sounds like you are having a continuous great time! I'm envious! The trailer for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian has finally been released: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/ I am so incredibly excited...remember going to see The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe about a million times hoping to help it do well at the box office so they would make movies of the other books??? seems to have worked! :-) good times....Keep having fun!!!! Merry Christmas if I don't have the chance to post again before then!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/esomeprazole]nexium pill dosage
[/url]nexium tablets children
nexium oral dosage
nexium hp dosage
medical nexium tablets
long will take nexium work