Saturday, December 1, 2007

Poor British Transport

Well I'll go ahead and let you all a little deeper in my world. People say that British public transport is some of the best in the world. When it comes to the tube in London, I'll agree. When it comes to the Chunnel from London to Paris, I haven't done it, but because they have it, I'll agree with them there. And here in Oxford, I'll usually agree for the most part, especially if you are a user of the #5 bus to Cowley Road. Those buses come ever three minutes I swear. But if you are waiting for the #15 to the City Centre from Wood Farm Road or visa versa, the whole "Great British Transport" bit is pure bollucks. I've had times where I get there and a bus is there just pulling up and my day starts well. I've had days where I'm late and the bus just makes me later by not coming until 20 minutes after the last bus came, even though they're supposed to be around every 10-15 minutes. If I'm already late, I don't mind being later. But today took the cake.

To preface the story, it's raining. It does that from time to time in England as the WHOLE WORLD knows. Well, sometimes that will make the buses run a little more scattered or a little late, but doesn't mess them up too bad. I think they shouldn't be affected by the rain AT ALL because the British people have had to deal with the maritime climate and precipitation for THOUSANDS of years, so how can a little rain affect the system SO MUCH?! Well here's how it affected it today:

I get out of the house and it's just barely sprinkling; I'm fine. I get to the end of the road and the bus is just getting ready to leave, but the driver is checking some things on the bus, so he's just waiting there. I get to the door and hold up my pass so he'll open up the door and let me in. Well, because I wasn't there the first time he opened the door (even though he stopped for a couple minutes after opening the door) he won't do it again and leaves. This happened last week too: I got to the bus and he was just getting ready to leave so I run up and he shuts the door and takes of, so I sprint down the road after it to the next stop. I understand that they are on a schedule and they can't stop and open the doors every two seconds, but they can't hold the door open for another 3 seconds??? Don't they want my money? Geeez...

Anyway, I wasn't going to run after this bus because I saw on the clock that there would be another one in roughly 7 minutes. Well, I wait and the 7 minutes turns into 10 and the bus that was supposed to be 20 minutes away is now 7 minutes away while the bus that was 7 minutes away is now 6 minutes away. The 20 minute bus becomes Due and the 7 minute bus is still at 3 minutes. The 7 minute bus then becomes Due and both pull up right next to each other. The next bus that was 30 minutes away is now Due also, so within 2 minutes three buses pull up to the same stop, while I've waited for 25 minutes for a bus that was supposedly 7 minutes away. Now it's 2:00 and I told the guy I would be there early at 2:00 and now I look like a food again. Thanks Oxford Bus Company.

I don't like to complain and I understand that these buses aren't always going to be perfect. But really, I haven't seen the #5 Cowley Road bus stop go without a bus at least every 10 minutes, whereas I wait for an average of 15-20 minutes for my buses every time, save the rare 2 minute waits. Why can't I live on Cowley Road?

Welp, there. That's all the complaining I'm going to do this week. I am in Oxford, for goodness sake, living a dream. Oh bans, quit crying Caleb! But as for the busman, he and I will be at odds for good...... just you wait busman... I'm going to win the next round. I will!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...so, what kind of food DO you look like?