Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fun in the... Rain?

So after a relaxing 3ish months without really doing any exercise of real consequence, I decided to do something other than sit and wait for the next time I go exploring. Well the next time to go exploring WAS going to Monday and Tuesday but I decided against it at the last minute and I'm kind of glad I did. I wasn't prepared in any way, plus I was still a little tired, so I spent Monday sleeping and just sitting around (the normal routine for days off, which I must say, as boring as it is really is nice when I think of how often I get to do it at home), and today I actually got up to do something. It was raining, but that was alright, I woke up and showered and had some cereal (I never enjoyed bran flakes so much!), then decided to go for a little run. I've had several spurts where I go on a running kick and for a few weeks I'll run at least a couple miles every other day. I've done it living at home, in the Hood, in Carmel and I figured I'd try it here. Yeah, the first two minutes were great and Coldplay was singing some lovely tunes on the way, but once I got onto the main road by my house, I decided I WOULDN'T run all the way to the shops and back, which are a little over a mile from my house. Running two miles isn't too hard for me, but this was crazy! So instead, I made a small circle and ended up sticking to the neighborhood I live in and that turned out to be exactly a mile (according to Google). So after some major huffing and puffing, I finally relaxed to wait for my new hobby to start: Fencing.

Yep that's right, fencing. Every Tuesday for the next seven weeks I'm taking a fencing class from the Oxford Fencing Club. How fun will this be!? I've always wanted to take fencing in general, but I never thought I'd actually be able to take it! And in fact, Indianapolis has a fencing club as well, so if I really like it (and anybody ELSE that wants to take fencing with me!) I might be able continue the hobby! Hey! So yeah, basically all we did today was work on footwork and proper lunge techniques, so it was a lot of talking, but learning to parry (defend) next week should prove for some real fun! So, yes, I will keep you all posted on how musketeer-like I probably won't become!

I'm having a good time this month and three weeks from now is Shannon, Ireland, where some great coastline is awaiting me. Next week, maybe some hills in the Cotswolds and a small town called Malvern. We'll see. Time to really start preparing for April and the big trip though. Alright! Until then! Cheers!

No comments: