Thursday, March 6, 2008

Coming Home?

Alright, I REALLY didn't want to do a post about it, but if you really know me, you will know I like to make well thought-out decisions and get as much advice as possible, as well as weigh all the options. So, here goes: I've got a decision (we won't call it a dilemma because that insinuates a possible negative outcome) to make sometime within the next few days. The decision is either to come home early on April 3rd and come back to Greece/Italy/Paris with my good friend Jon who is coming to visit me on April 24th for two weeks OR stay here as planned and travel a little bit before making my way to Greece to meet Jon. I'll lay them out here as options A and B.

A: Fly Home Early
Pros
- Bring home enough money to fix my car (which DESPERATELY needs fixing), have enough to have a GREAT time in Greece with J-Twoody and probably have enough to come back home for good in May and not have to worry about where the next tank of gas is coming from. (Yes, Mom, I know you could help, but I you know how I like being independent.)

-I wouldn't be alone anymore! I'd be with family, I'd get to drive down to Texas to see my niece, possibly get to drive to Virginia to visit with Tim, and get to see Natalie a month sooner than I've expected.

-I'd have the time to look and hopefully interview for some jobs for when I get back in May for good.

-Confession before Pascha would be nice...

-I wouldn't have to find a place to store my stuff while I'm away in Europe AND I wouldn't have to buy about $400 worth of camping equipment.

Cons
-I'd miss out on seeing the Highlands, the Guinness Brewery, and the French Riviera at the ripe old age of 23. I don't feel SO bad about it because I KNOW for a fact that I will see the Highlands and the Brewery before I die, and most likely the Riviera as well, I just wouldn't be doing it as a youngster out on his own in the big wide world, however it would be really cool to come home from having done that.

B: Stay Here As Planned and TRAVEL
Pros
-I walk the length of Loch Ness and live in the Highlands out of a tent for a few days; just me, the land and God.

-I visit the Oban Whisky Distillery while on my way to visit the island of Iona where St. Columba and St. Columcille were born.

-I visit Glasgow, the city where my mom's side of the family is from.

-I get to visit the Guinness brewery and possibly Armagh where St. Patrick's relics are held.

-Either see more of England or head to Portugal where I drink port wine from the source, head through Spain to the French Riviera and simply relax on beaches for awhile before heading to Greece to meet Jonny.

-I learn to live without relying on fast food, cars or buses, indoor plumbing and the daily shower.

Cons
-I do all of the awesome stuff I just said by myself with no one to talk to or enjoy it with.

-No internet or way of communication for at least a week at a time.

-I have to find somewhere to store my stuff and hope it doesn't get stolen.

-I come home having traveled a lot and very happy with myself but also without a penny to my name and a job unfound.

-I learn to live without relying on fast food, cars or buses, indoor plumbing and the daily shower.


Conclusion:
Either way I look at these options, it sure is nice to know that I'm going to be happy with whatever I do. If I choose option A, I see my niece, my family, my girl, my friends, and I get to really start my future on a strong foot. If I choose option B, I'll still see my niece, family, girl and friends eventually, but I would do it after having had walked across Scotland, venerated relics, lived where I don't speak A WORD of the local language and survived. I would have had a great time, alone or not. I will be happy regardless. I'm glad I have such a wonderful "problem." I am so blessed. And I'm taking opinions...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've got the rest of your life to be a grown up and to be "responsible."
so will you have to pay for a ticket back to the states and then back to greece? isn't that going to cost a lot? you should stuff as much into your trip as possible and plan on being poor for a while when you come back. you should then plan on visiting all the people and places you mentioned (you'll be poor for just a minute longer) and then get a real job and be a big kid and whatnot.
- laurel

Brian said...

You have the rest of your life to see your friends and family.

I say stay. You're already there, in the middle of an amazing adventure. You've achieved the hardest part because you've planned it and you've made all the preparations and now you're actually there. I bet you'll regret it in the future if you cut it short.

tjwilsonster said...

Well this comment will lean the other way for no other reason than Grandpa Wilson. His days are numbered, surgery looms and recuperation follows. WE are all praying for God to just take it away, but we want what is God's will, too. Just a thought ; )

Luke Beecham said...

i've already weighed in on the subject. good advice on both sides - you've already made up your mind - just be sure to own what you choose. its up to you and your choice will be a good one as long as it's YOUR choice and you can live with it.

Anonymous said...

Dude, when Luke and I were over in Europe, Luke wanted to cut our trip short and come home early, but I said “no” and “stop being such a yssup”. But that was then, and your situation is a little different. So, ditto to what Luke just said.

Luke Beecham said...

Haha! Wow, that was a good reminder Rabbit...of a very irrational and silly thought process going on in my head at the time. :-)

Caleb - having been reminded of that time I can honestly say, I'm thankful to this day that Josh was there to remind me to "WAKE UP!" and take the gift I'd been given of time and resources to actually travel in some amazing places. That trip is still crystal clear in my memory - like it was yesterday, and is easily in the top 5 happiest and best times of my life, and I certainly would have regretted making a different choice.

So...my advice from before is the same, and hopefully this little snippet from memory lane will help. ;-)

Thanks again Rab for a "happy moment" during an otherwise gray and dreary day!

Anonymous said...

Luke,
you're welcome - thanks for traveling with me and putting up with all my B.S. over the years.

Anonymous said...

STAY!!!