Monday, October 8, 2007

Another Movie Star

Well, then. I must say that passing time in London with friends is much better than not. Tonight was spent in an American sports pub, although still run by Brits, watching a bit of the Argentina-Scotland rugby match, and watching the Colts go 5-0 for the fourth season in a row, an AFC historical first. I paid way too much for the four chicken fingers that I got, but the Guinness, Carlsberg, and Strongbow helped me out. Go Colts!!

Hadley’s boyfriend, Chris, is a “capital” fellow. On the tube on the way home, I asked him if “capital” was ad adjective the British used anymore. Apparently not. He used the word capital to describe London, as in capitol. Anyway, I can’t describe the kind of guy he is. I said that I really liked him because of the way that he treated Hadley, but I’ll say that I really enjoy his company as a friend as well. He’s very open with conversation, and, even though I haven’t been to his home or really to anything that is his, he is a great host. I’ve been invited to spend “Thanksgiving,” or at least his family’s portrayal for Hadley’s honor,” with them. That should be an excellent experience, especially since it’s outside of London. I like London and the fact that I am learning my way around one of the biggest cities in the entire world. However, I am a country fellow at heart, and with that comes a longing for country scenes. If I am blessed enough to find a job and a place to live this week, perhaps I can spend a few pounds and go to Scotland, Ireland, or maybe just out of London to Oxford, Cambridge, Felixstowe or maybe even Brighton, possibly. It all depends on the directions the pounds, or soon-to-be-lack-thereof, point.

Another thing that I’ve already said once has happened again. Do you all remember how on my first night here I saw Jamie Foxx at a movie premiere? Well, that was at Piccadilly Circus, which is kind of the life of central London. Well, tonight I was to meet Hadley and Chris there to go to the Colt’s game and I ended up seeing a TV show being filmed called “He Kills Coppers.” It’s not that big of a show I guess, but a guest star on the show was an actor that I like very much, named Rafe Spall. His name doesn’t sound English but he is. I know him from Green Street Hooligans as “Swill,” and A Good Year as “Kenny.” Anyway, as soon as I got to Piccadilly Circus, I walked to the statue that Hadley told me to meet her at and low and behold, this guy and another actress are having their pictures taken. Of course I left my camera at the hostel because I don’t expect to see anything cool and it’s a great relief to not be wearing my backpack. So this guy, Rafe, is literally a hand’s reach away from me and all I can do is smile and laugh at the way other people are gawking at him the way I wish I could. So, besides the Colt’s winning of course, that was the highlight of my night.

Tomorrow I plan to call several employers and try to find a job. I actually have a number they can contact me at, so that is a boost to confidence. Wish me luck, and I’ll let you know how it goes. Right now, this French girl just took a chair next to me as a footrest and asked if I spoke French, and since I don’t, I said no, so I’m going to learn some French.

And as always, Cheers!

2 comments:

Grandma Brown said...

Oooh! French. Woot woot!

Mrs. C. said...

Be careful around girls with accents, my dad fell for that old routine and look what that got him!