Monday, October 8, 2007

Oh Goody!!

Today was tourist day. A day which, on purpose, I looked like a tourist, got in people’s way, like a tourist, and ate American food, like a tourist. After my “free internet place,” which is the BUNAC office where I look for jobs and accommodation, closed, I went home to drop off the computer and pick up the camera for a little sightseeing. I must admit, London at night is absolutely amazing. I will post the pictures from my little excursion which started in Piccadilly Circus, went through St. James’ Park to the Horse Guard, back through to Buckingham Palace, then past the Guard Museum to Westminster Abbey and Parliament Road, and ended up back at Piccadilly Circus via Trafalgar Square. I have pictures and video from the Piccadilly beginning through Buckingham Palace. Then my battery ran out and I didn’t get to take pictures of Westminster Abbey – which I must say, has to be photographed at night, so I’ll do that later – or of Trafalgar Square. I’ll post those whenever I get my camera some battery squash (Britain’s word for juice).

The neat thing about all this is that it could be my new home. I have an interview tomorrow morning for a Team Assistant position at American Express. No, I don’t expect to begin a career in the credit card industry (don’t worry Mr. Ramsey!), but this would offer a good job with great pay and weekends off. Plus I’d have work, home, and church within 15 minutes walking distance from one another, and it would be in the heart of one of the biggest cities in the world. I know what you’re thinking. “Living there will be way too expensive, even if you get paid well.” Well, I’m here to say that I’m pretty confident that I can score a decent place for decent money. I don’t want to say how much I could be making, but I did a little budgeting, and if I can find a place that is within the average of London near work, I’d be sitting very pretty. This job looks quite interesting too, especially since I would be working for a team of about 10, basically doing secretary stuff, probably getting coffee and making appointments. But if that allows my weekends to be spend skiing in Switzerland, hiking the Cairngorms, listening to Irish bands in little towns outside of Cork, watching the sunset in Bordeaux over a nice bottle of wine, or enjoying a litre of weizen while trying to count to ten in German, I’m all over it.

I’d better go iron my suit for tomorrow, seeing that it has been in my suitcase folded since I got here. Please pray for this interview, and especially for finding a studio or flat once I actually get a job. While I am getting used to London, I’d really like a job that will let me get out during my weekends in order to experience the rest of Britain. I promise I’ll upload pictures later, as well as the video’s I’ve got too. So thanks for keeping up with interesting parts of my journey, although once I find a job, I’m sure the weeks will not only fly by, but get a little less interesting for you. So Cheers!


P.S. I know I'm forgetting to say something, but I'm sure I'll remember later, so don't worry! Buuuiiiyy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so i took a walk with you today. i reminisced about my trip to london and remembered most of the places that you mentioned today. it appears as though you are enjoying london much more than i did. i was only there for like 2.5 or 3 days and it rained the ENTIRE time and it was the last leg of a 5 week trip - at that point, i was ready to go home. and i was overwhelmed at the cost of everything (stinking U.S. dollar) my guess is that when you are there long enough - you just stop doing the calculation in your head and it won't bother you to pay $8 for a hamburger because you will think of it in terms of pounds. and hey - i'm really glad that you decided to live in london. truly a once in a life time experience. i'm slightly envious. i'll live vicariously through your for the next few months. enjoy!! peace be with you, Laurel