Tuesday, October 9, 2007

First One Down, Hopefully a Few More To Go

Had my first interview this morning. I don't think it's possible for anything to have gone any better, aside from getting offered the job on the spot. Well, things went great during the first part where I met with two younger girls (woot woot!) for the preliminary stuff, then they had me meet one of the two VP's I'd be working for, if I get the job. He really wanted me to understand that this job wasn't going to be very stimulating at times and I'd probably get really bored once in a while. I said that I've stocked beer in grocery stores for the last two years, so I think I'm good with monotonous work. We had a good talk about interests, and of course, the World Cup this weekend, especially since England is in the semi's, as well as South Africa, which is where he's from. I felt kind of dumb because when he asked my interests, I mentioned music and that I liked to play the djmbe, which was an African drum. He then proceeded to ask where it's from and I said, "Southern Africa, I think." "Oh, really? I'm from South Africa. I've never heard of it." Dang it! Busted! So I fuddled my way around it and told him that he'd like it if he heard it, and tried to make a joke of not being able to play drums with my hands and feet at the same time, so a hand drum is best for me.

The conversation went well, and I think I gave a really good interview. I've had so many in the past 5 years that I feel like it's second nature to have somebody questioning me about my next 10 years and where I want to be and blah blah blah. So this interview was very laid back and casual; a change of pace that was greatly welcomed. If I get that job, I'll be extremely happy. Here's the surroundings: A five to seven minute walk north up Buckingham Palace Road takes you to, well, Buckingham Palace, past the Royal Mews. A seven to ten minute walk directly west down Victoria Street takes you to Westminster Abbey, and you can change your clock to match Big Ben every day during lunch! And a couple steps further and you can sit in on a Parliamentary decision at the Houses of Parliament. Or perhaps walk across Westminster Bridge over the Thames to the Florence Nightingale Museum. But you certainly wouldn't have enough time during lunch for that. Directly south on Wilton Road takes you to the Queen Mother Sports Centre, so I'll find out what that's about later. Past Buckhingham Palace is St. James's Park, so lunches with the ducks and ravens could be an every day occurence. A two-minute ride on the tube would take you to Harrod's where endless shoppers indulge in every type of store and atmostphere possible. If you happen to get an early day on Friday and want to hop on the Express Train to Gatwick airport for a weekend trip in Brussels or Belfast, well it's just across the street from the office. And this isn't just an ordinary office.

This thing is smack dab in the middle of the business world. You know the movies where a man goes to a job interview and the revolving doors are about 20 feet tall? Then he walks into a giant white/grey room where the only thing in the whole room is a desk off to the left with two receptionists? He has to get a building pass made, custom with his picture and name on it. He walks to the elevators with the lovely British narrator telling you that "The door is opening. The door is closing. Arriving at the second floor. The door is opening." Then he pushes through some 10 food glass doors where the handle goes all the way up and down the door. After he says he's there for an interview, he has a seat on the white leather couches that don't allow you to sit all the way back or you'll look like a 10-year old kid on the bus with his legs hanging off the seat, kicking the seat in front of him. Yeah, I'm not that short, so they were some big couches. Then he is introduced, is offered coffe, water, whatever, and he goes into a small conference room. Outside the conference room is apparently the lounge, full of three columns by about six rows of ottoman seats opposite of small round tables. Several possible co-workers discuss the previous days events and last night's football match between Chelsea and New Castle United, and perhaps the big rugby matches going on this weekend.

After the initial interview, he is walked through the narrow corridors to a room with several white cubicles, clearly viewable for the visitor's eye, and is handed over to the big man in the office, a middle-aged white man with a blue and white checked shirt and black slacks. His office isn't spectacular, but it's got some remnants leaving the impression of a sports fan, probably football more than anything else. A Dell monitor hangs on the wall with small clutters on the desk. The interviewee's cover letter is on the table with something highlighted, probably his mobile number. He is told to "take off his jacket, take off his tie, this is a relaxed office. We don't wear ties here, and on Friday's we were jeans. This is comfortable place. Sometimes we say, 'Heck, let's take the afternoon off and head to the pub,' really this place isn't very rigid. However, this job can be boring. I want you to know that. I want your eyes opened to the realities of this job, just for your own good."

After the interview, I am walked out and head off into the rain to write my thank you email, and search for other jobs. I was the first of four, or so they said, to be interviewed, and the others wouldn't be interviewed until later in the week, and possibly early next week. So I should know in a week's time, and you will know as well.

I really want this job. To have a team to assist, being a part of international affairs (Membership Rewards and Partnerships for American Express's "Outside USA" operations), and the surroundings of the office. I think it would be fun, somewhat challenging, a place to meet some new people, a great way to live in London, and it would provide stellar income for what I've been expecting. Oh, I want this job.

So! I have applied to two other office jobs, and Harrod's, which is the mall, to see if there are any openings in "Nordstrom Land" for me to fill. Here's hoping for at least another interview sometime soon, although none have been offered yet. I'm going to book another hostel for probably another week, so there goes more money, and while I'm not hurting for pounds yet, I definitely would like to start making some to replenish all that I'm spending. I'm going to buy an umbrella and some food now, and perhaps I'll have more information on the job hunt as the week progresses.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Joel and Tessi said...

That. Was. Awesome.. to read. :)

Mrs. C. said...

I hope you impressed everyone with your engaging smile and your goofy wit.
Here's to a job, and saying,'Have a Nice Day!" just like all those other Yanks.
What, no beer update today?

Anonymous said...

Caleb, so glad you chose Oxford I told you it would be good lots of young people. Quit whining about 6 pound something an hour when I left I was making 3 pound a week and no I didn't rent space on Noah's Ark... glad your'e loving it. Keep up the good work. love you, miss standing next to you at St Stephen's. God be with you Shanghainanny