Monday, October 15, 2007

Moving...

Finally moving to Oxford. London is a nice place, but I"m a country boy through and through. I'm looking forward to leaving work and being able to head to the country for the evening, or at least to a big park for a walk, away from traffic and cars and people and profit and yeah... London, and I guess I should say Europe, is a bit too liberal for me. Advertising is more risque, and the people are like in any big city; frowning. Nobody smiles here. I like to smile, and if people aren't returning it, then life is no fun. Where I'll be working in a hotel, I'm in control, so people have to look at me, and if they're not smiling, my job is to get them to. I like being paid to make people happy. That's the sign of a good job.

So now I've got some money in my pocket (the last of the cash that I brought with me), a job, and a new town to explore. I've explored London, and I only need to see Tower Bridge to complete what I wanted to see in London. I've had traditional pub food, except I haven't had fish and chips; I'll do that in Oxford. I've had the ales, I enjoyed a few English breakfasts, and I think I've done well experiencing London. As for the rest of England, I want Bristol, Cornwall, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Cambridge, and the Lake District before I leave. I'll do Wales within the next month hopefully, and Ireland this month or next also. I think the highlands of Scotland will have to wait until March, although Glasgow and Edinburgh can be done soon too. Christmas in the Swiss Alps at a place called The Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald, Switzerland, suggested by Luke. Right now, that's all I've got. Although I found some pretty cool places to do adrenaline pumping stuff like land surfing and coasteering. But we'll see: I don't want to give mom a heart attack. ;) JOKING MOM!!

It's been a lovely day here, but now it's kind of clouding up. Honestly, England has gotten a bad break with all the assumptions that it's all rain and cold. I've had one day of rain here, and it was rather refreshing. I've been here over a week and a half, so I'm pretty happy. I realize that once it gets colder it will rain more and October is actually the rain season, but so far so good. When I was in Oxford last week I found an amazing place to find some panini's, and it had some sweet looking apple pie too. Although, for work of course, I need to sample a lot of pubs within the next week, that way I can suggest good places to people. Same with walking around Oxford. I need to get to know my way around! That is something I'm really looking forward to: Finding out where the good spots of Oxford are, in order for me to pass them on. So here's to fun nights out in Oxford!

I'll be taking pictures on my tour of the hotel so I can really know what rooms are what and what each one offers, so I'll share those with you all soon. As for my pictures of Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, St. Paul's, and the British Museum, refer to my Flickr page in the next couple days, and they will all be up.

I'm gonna quit writing so I don't get sick on this bus now. Cheers!

3 comments:

Mrs. C. said...

Geesh, thought you had fallen into a well hole.
What if you do really well, and they want you to stay longer???? hmmm????

Luke Beecham said...

Congrats again Leb. Looking forward to visiting! And yes, I'm going to agree with "Mrs. C" and ask "What if they want you to stay?"

"Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live" said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.